Sunday, February 1, 2009

25 Random Things About Glenn Campbell (a Facebook survey)

This is my own response to a "survey" going around on Facebook...

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

(To do this, go to "notes" under tabs on your profile page, paste these instructions in the body of the note, type your 25 random things, tag 25 people (in the right hand corner of the app) then click publish.)

1) I have never had any interest in alcohol, drugs, gambling, amusement park rides, video games, or playing or watching sports. Must be a genetic defect.

2) I have an iPod in my head. In an instant, I can call up any of 1000s of songs, all of them completely free.

3) I don't care whether UFOs are real. They are not relevant.

4) I can sleep almost anywhere.

5) God, if He exists, isn't going to care whether or not I believe in Him, just as long as I do good.

6) Doing good is a lot more complicated than it seems.

7) All of the main problems of life come down to "triage"-that is, getting the best results you can with the inadequate resources at your disposal.

8) I was raised by television but hate it now. If I never see it again, it won't bother me.

9) Gilligan, the Skipper, too, are like family to me. I will always regret how they were treated by the entertainment industry.

10) I am completely immune to advertizing, except when it shows me a lower price for something I was going to buy anyway.

11) I have always had a major travel addiction, but I think I have it under control. I can quit anytime I want.

12) If necessary, I can go days or weeks without human contact and still function efficiently (although not happily). I don't need anyone to tell me what to do, because I already know what to do.

13) I would like people to read and appreciate what I write, but it isn't necessary. I know when something I have written is good, and that's enough to keep me going.

14) I have no problem walking into a room full of people who all disagree with me or who are even openly hostile to me, as long as I am physically safe. I relish any opportunity to defend my position, even if I know no one is going to be changed by it.

15) I could go on live TV in front of millions of people and not be nervous, at long as I can express my own views and not someone else's.

16) I have actually done #15.

17) The biggest worry in my life is the well-being of my ex-wife and her kids, even though I have very little contact with them.

18) My only significant possessions are my laptop computer and my camera.

19) I can get by on very little as long as I can write.

20) I am permanently settled in a mental age of 24, but I have a few more tools now then I had then.

21) By about the age of 12, I recognized that the Christian God didn't exist and that all religions were made up by Man. I continued to happily go to church, however, as it was my only social life. (I was raised Episcopal, which is just about the easiest religion ever. No one expects you to declare anything.)

22) My favorite movie as a kid was "2001: A Space Odyssey." The idea of an astronaut alone in space both terrified and fascinated me.

23) In high school, I used to hang out at M.I.T. I used to be a math whiz, but I lost it all in senior year. Before I lost my math, I nearly aced the SATs and Achievement Tests.

24) I was banned from Canada for 10 years and didn't even know it. (The 10 years is over now.) Canada is an optional country anyway. It's not like losing France or something.

25) I am an existentialist, but I still haven't figured out what that means.


Here is the link to this item on Facebook, including comments from others. (Facebook login and/or friending may be required).